Thursday 16 January 2014

Diet, Fads, and all that other ....



Since Christmas, the vibe on social media, how everyone is going on a diet.  They need to lose weight and a diet will fix everything.  "Oh, I've lost 3kg this week, in only a week"  "I'm fat, I need to lose
weight"  "I'm going on a diet"  I cringe at all these things.  Trust me, I've been on the roller coaster to weight loss probably from late 20's until maybe 18 months ago.  I know how amazing it feels to lose weight and feel good about yourself from that quick fix.  Then old habits start to creep in, emotions (I am biggest emotional eater) take over and over time, that weight creeps in and your scales tell you, your are sooooooo obese, your BMI is crap and you feel like shite.  So let's go to the fridge to make it better..arrgh.

At the end of 2012, while sort of committing to swimming in a team.  I notice this peculiar thing.  My body shape was changing.  Clothes started to fit better, and I actually took notice of what I was eating because I didn't want this great feeling going away.  Yep, I was still having chocolate but instead of having the whole 250g block in one sitting, I'd only have a little.  (It's a miracle how long it lasts when you do that)  I didn't feel guilty about eating it.  I enjoyed. 

By January 2013, wow I was feeling so good.  Clothes loose, working hard at training.  Still had my curves but there was more shape and I started to like me.  Because before my light bulb moment, I wasn't really getting on with myself. 

Then I thought I'm doing so well, I'm going to get those scales to tell me how good I've been.  BAMMMM end of happiness.   I was heavier even though clothes loser and I felt great.  My coach has always explained muscle is heavier, skip the scales....but at that moment in time, it was the end of my world.  Then, after self pity, the whole why me crap (it's never a good thing)  I decided me and my scales had to part ways and this is what I said:

8th February 2013

Dearest Scales

You have long been my nemesis.  You go UP, Down, UP, down; yes, at some point I have to take responsibility.  So I am.  I will no longer be governed by your numbers and how you make me feel.  When I eat right, exercise, my clothes begin to feel lose.  I feel amazing. 

Yet when I step on you, your numbers tell a different story. 

You then get into my happy head space where I was feeling amazing, and because I’m an emotional eater.  I binge, say why do I bother and eat crap food and don’t exercise.  Then I feel like crap again.  I step on you and the numbers stay the same.  Arrrrrrrrrgh.  Frustration.

So you know what.  I know I’m responsible for me. It takes baby steps, to get to the end goal.   I’m not going to be ruled by you anymore.  My happy head space belongs to me.  I’m going to have chocolate, beer, red drink when I want, and not feel guilty because I’m learning a new word; it’s called moderation.  I’m going to trip up now and again but that’s ok.

I love the fact that tennis doesn’t seem like exercise because it’s fun.  Being crazy at beach boot camp, running up crazy hills stuffs me.  But I’ve achieved something. Yet I’m sure you’d tell me differently.  I may be puffing like billy the train but I gave it a go.  I’m happy I did.

So, it may take me one, maybe two years to reach my goal of all over 14.  But I don’t care, you’re not going to be there to make me feel unhappy because I might have had one or two bad weeks, months.  I have wonderful supportive people around me.  Super coach.  Who are there on good days and the bad days when kryptonite cripples my super girl powers.

So I’m just going to roll with the punches; I’m only human with a touch of super girl.  Not perfect, never will be.  Life is too short to get hung up by numbers on a scale.  If you are giving it a go, eating healthily, and exercising, I’m going to be in that positive/happy place.

Bring on the day I can go and pick off the rack my size 14 Wayne Cooper (or other designer) straight dress.  I’m going to get there without your help.  Adios amigo, goodbye, ciao, bye bye, may the dust now cover your screen in retirement.

Yours faithfully
A girl with lots of curves


And that is that.  No more scales, the only use they get from me is weighing my luggage when I travel.  Yes, I'm tempted every now and again to jump but there, my will power is strong, and tape measure, clothes, positive people, loving life and my happy head space are my friends.

Everyone is different, and we all do the diet things for different reasons.  I just wish society would stop with the word diet and quick fix options and go for the "lifestyle" change that you can live with everyday.  Make those little changes over time that will sustain and be better healthier you.  Be happy with the clothes, fuel you put in your body, exercise you do, whatever it is.  Most of all be comfortable in your own skin.  There are a lot of pressures we put on ourselves today; by society, social media and in general being harsh on ourselves for minuscule things.  Instead of living healthy, enjoying life, being positive and not getting hung up on all the crap (little things).  
 
In the end the choice is yours.  If you are really honest with yourself, and look within, you know if you are doing the best you can, to live a healthy lifestyle.   (I said healthier, not perfect.)  If you aren't, are YOU going to change or stay the same?  It is up to YOU and no-one else.  Never forget we are all only human, and life is a roller coaster of ups and downs.  It's about making the best of the ride and most importantly, enjoying it along the way.  Everybody's' path is different there is no deigning that, but try and make it an amazing one.

Here's to happy healthy life, whatever YOU choose.  Oh, and a wee red drink and chocolate, every now and again.  (I hope, not to get too excited on next social gathering.  Then again there are no promises though; only human :).)
Shell xo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment